Monday, May 18, 2009

Men are like shoes

Men are like shoes.

I made this sweeping statement as I contemplated the intricacies of my life whilst shopping, (as we women do), and found the parallels between men and shoes to be rather overwhelming...

To start with, all shoes (and men) look great from a distance - it's only when you get closer that you realise most are ugly and the good looking ones are sold out, (or gay). After working your way through a dozen or so shops and trying on a few (or 40+) pairs, you fall in love with one set, and go through whatever pain barriers you must in order to get them. Then what happens? They bloody hurt! Sure, at the shop when you were laughing and joking and deciding whether you wanted them or not they seemed perfect. But then on your first official night out together they start pinching on your little toe. And weeks later there may be parts of you that are sore, but it was worth it.

Besides, you really like these shoes, right? So, you put on some plasters (excuse my English terminology - band aids), and you put up with a bit of pain because there is sooo much right about the shoes and you can really see a future with them - you even stop wearing your other shoes because these are your favourites.

Then they decide they are going to move to Sydney...
Ok, so perhaps this is where the similarity ends. Alas, despite being a POM, I like to think I am relatively sane and do acknowledge that shoes (although some would argue men as well) do not have a mind of their own.

But this one does - The Londoner. I can't control what he does or what he says or how I feel about him. And whilst it annoys the shit out of me, I love it.

So, to elaborate on my story for those who have made it thus far...
After 3 wonderful, although sometimes sore months, he got arrested for being in a fight and announces he is up-and-leaving just as soon as he has appeared in court, with no plans to return. Like the heels breaking on your favourite shoes, I took quite a fall. For the past 2 weeks, despite being in the same city, we have not seen each other. We have partaken in a cat-and-mouse style chase, where neither one is always the cat, nor always the mouse. I believe some call it "phone tag". I would see him ringing and not answer. Then ring him back hours later and he would do the same to me. My mum has always taught me "Treat 'um mean, keep 'um keen" - and I can assure you that more often that not it works...

Sure enough, he then decides he might be coming back in 2 weeks time as he actually loves Brisbane and thinks it will be too cold in Sydney - you would think being from London he could handle the chill factor, which makes me question (and hope) the reason he might be coming back, might in fact be, because of me.

His court case is in 2 days time. He flies to Sydney that afternoon. I am seeing him tonight.

Now, which shoes shall I wear?!

No comments:

Post a Comment